Friday, October 17, 2008

13 Weeks

Your baby has reached the size of a medium shrimp and weighs nearly an ounce. (Length: almost 3 inches, head to bottom). Your fetus is forming teeth and vocal cords... savor this, their non-functional phase. Baby is approaching normal proportions, with a head now only one third the size of the body. Intestines are in the process of moving from the umbilical cord to baby's tummy. (Much more convenient.)

Every week I listen to Rob complain about the vague size of our baby. "A lime?? That is ridiculous. Limes greatly vary in size" or "A blueberry? What size blueberry exactly?" and I have to explain to him that this is just for fun, to give you a general idea. But...a shrimp? And not even a prawn, a medium shrimp. I have seen a lot of shrimps in my life and I have seen a lot of limes...but I don't think I've ever seen a shrimp that is larger than a lime. Unless you're talking about a key lime, which it doesn't appear that way. So I'm going to go with another website this week, which is using a peach. Much better, don't you think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, a peach provides a much better visual! Besides you don't want to give your kid a complex calling it a shrimp in the womb! Pat the belly from me!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I agree- using "shrimp" could be damaging.

Vocal cords!!! YEA! The yelling will commence soon. Very soon. Just kidding. I'm sure Baby Thomas will be very quiet. ;)