Friday, June 4, 2010

Muffins

I made the Applesauce Muffins from the Deceptively Delicious cookbook.  I had some butternut/carrot purees leftover in the freezer and this was a perfect opportunity to use them up.  If I make them again, I might substitute banana or applesauce for the veggies since I probably won't have any purees on hand.  I don't think that would compromise the recipe too much.  Rob said Avery went crazy over these at breakfast.  I didn't take any pictures but they were quite pretty with the crumbly streusel topping.


Applesauce Muffins

Batter:
1 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
1 cup Old-fashioned oats (I used quick oats)
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup Unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Non-fat milk
1/2 cup Butternut squash/carrot pure
1/2 cup Firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup Vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg
 
Topping:
2/3 cup Old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup Firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 tbsp Margarine, melted

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a muffin pan with paper cups
Stir together topping ingredients. Set Aside.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir. In a second bowl, mix the applesauce with the milk, butternut squash, sugar oil, and egg. Add the flour mixture slowly, stirring until just moistened. Do not over mix - the batter is supposed to be lumpy.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel topping. Bake until the topping is light brown approx 18 to 20 min.


P.S. How do you teach a baby to drink from a straw?
P.P.S. How do you teach a baby not to throw food off their tray?
P.P.P.S. How do you get a baby to drink cold milk from a cup instead of warm milk from a bottle?
P.P.P.P.S. How do you stop referring to your one-year-old as a baby?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sounds/looks like a good cook book, I will definitely have to try it out! Now as for the answers to your P.S., P.P.S., P.P.P.S., and your P.P.P.P.S...

The straw thing just happens when you are not looking.

The food throwing deal is tough. Caiden was HORRIBLE about this and finally I had to really pay attention to him while he was eating and towards the end keep asking him if he was done. Then I would remove the plate while I said it so he would see that is what you do. There was also some hand spanking involved too! Now Ethan is my "perfect child" when it comes to eating. He says done (in his own way) and picks his plate up and waits for you to take it. He will also eat about anything and all of it!

Do you still have the bottles around and divert to them if she doesn't drink out of the cup? Well if you do you got to go cold turkey and get rid of the bottles. Try slightly warming the milk (let it sit out or use the microwave) and then she will figure out real quick that if she wants milk it has got to come from the cup. With each of the boys on their 1st b-days I did not use bottles anymore...I packed them away for good!

And as for the baby thing...NEVER will happen! I still call Caiden my baby and he is 3 (almost 4 yikes!), but trust me as soon as I do he will correct me and tell me that HE IS NOT A BABY! Caiden also refers to Ethan as baby still. He knows his name but will always say "Baby come play with me" "Baby look out your window there is a tractor" it is pretty funny!