Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bookworm

This girl
loves.to.read.


It's the last thing we do before bed.  It's the first thing we do in the morning.  As soon as her feet hit the ground in the morning she heads to the bookshelf.  She is sometimes content with flipping through a book by herself, but usually she wants us to read to her.  When she approaches you with a book in her arms and looks up at you with those big blue eyes, you have to just stop what you're doing and sit down...and read (even Rob, who hates to read, will do this).   She really prefers reading to playing with toys, although she does like puzzles.

Also, you read what she wants to read.  She picks out the books.  She will let you know what she doesn't want to read, too.  She's open to suggestions, but if she's not into it within the first few pages, she's on to something else.  What cracks me up is the fact that she'll repeatedly pull books off the shelf that she doesn't want to read.  She's brought me Green Eggs and Ham at least 30 times but I've never got past the third page of "SAM I AM!" without her running away.

Her favorite this week and last?  Dr Seuss's ABC.  This is by far the longest book we've ever repeatedly gotten through, and I have the entire thing memorized.  She can successfully identify the A, B, and C on the cover (yeah, yeah, I'm sure it's just memorization). 

She also takes her control-freak show on the road.  At daycare they tell me she is such a good helper with the books.  Avery will take the book back to the bookshelf and pick out the next one to bring back to the circle.  She also amazes (their word!) the teachers with her ability to identify animals in various books.

I love to read and always have so this tickles me pink.  I know that toddler interest in things is always changing and I realize next week she may not want to pick up a book.  But I hope her zeal for reading continues.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I hope she keeps it up...I loved it up until about high school and now I go back and forth but I love that she loves it!!!