Thursday, November 18, 2010

White Chicken Chili

I'm going to start posting more recipes and reviews on here.  In addition to quite a few cookbooks, I have so many recipes I've printed out or that were given to me by someone over the years.  Sometimes we make something and love it, other times we go "eh, probably wouldn't make that again."   I'll try to document the good and bad on here.  I made this White Chicken Chili the other night.  It was pretty good.  It probably won't blow your hair back but it's healthy, low-calorie, easy (I made in the slow cooker), and Avery liked it.


White Chicken Chili  3.5 stars


  • 2  pounds  skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (I used 1.5)
  • 2  cups  finely chopped onion
  • 2  garlic cloves, minced
  • 2  teaspoons  ground cumin
  • 1/2  teaspoon  dried oregano
  • 1  teaspoon  ground coriander (I didn't have any)
  • 2  (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
  • 1  cup  water
  • 2  (15.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (such as Goya)
  • 1  (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2  teaspoon  hot pepper sauce (I omitted for Avery)
  • 1  cup  (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2  cup  chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2  cup  chopped green onions (I omitted)




  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 10 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
    Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cumin, dried oregano, and coriander; sauté 1 minute. Stir in chiles; reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes, partially covered. Add the chicken, water, cannellini beans, and broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in hot sauce. Ladle 1 cup of chili into each of 8 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and 1 tablespoon green onions.

    I made this in the slow cooker.  I just put everything in there (minus the last three ingredients), set to low, and cooked for about 8-9 hours.  We then took the chicken breasts out, shredded them, and returned them to the slow cooker.  Top with cheese, cilantro, tortilla chips, or whatever you want.


    Calories:
    233 (23% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.9g (sat 3.1g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.5g)
    Fiber:
    3.4g
     

No comments: