Friday, September 24, 2010

Domestic Matters

I'm always searching for ways to cut household expenses and use "greener" products in the house.   Many of the cleaning products we use in our homes are scary and unnecessary, not to mention the waste from all of the bottles, containers, etc.  I've been using white vinegar for floors, counters, highchair tray, and glass for a while now.  Some people don't like the smell of vinegar (I actually don't mind it) but it is completely odorless once dry. 

I wanted to start making my own laundry detergent so I began searching for recipes online.  They all seemed pretty much the same with slight variations.  I came across the Duggar's recipe and knew that was the one to use. If anyone knows a thing or two about laundry, it's the Duggar's (although I'm not likely to start making their tater tot casserole anytime soon).   

Here's what you need:
From Google Images

Borax
Washing Soda
Fels-Naptha Laundry (bar) Soap (Reasor's carries it, not sure about Wal-Mart)


These total about $7.  As you'll see below you're only using 1 cup of the washing soda and 1/2 cup of the Borax, so this will make MANY batches of laundry detergent.  Not to mention you can use the Borax and washing soda for household cleaning (bathrooms, etc.) which is what I have been doing.  Trading Comet for Borax/washing soda means my throat and eyes don't burn when I clean the bathtub.  Score!


1   Fels-Naptha soap bar
1  Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½  Cup Borax
-Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use 1 Tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoons. Yields: 3 Cups detergent. (Approx. 40 loads)
*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

TIPS FOR LAUNDRY SOAP: We use Fels-Naptha  bar soap in the homemade soap recipes, but you can use Ivory, Sunlight, Kirk's Hardwater Castile or Zote bars. Don't use heavily perfumed soaps. We buy Fels-Naptha by the case from our local grocer or online. Washing Soda and Borax can often be found on the laundry or cleaning aisle. Recipe cost approx. $2 per batch.

This is super easy to make.  I have made two batches now and the most time-consuming part is grating the soap.  I use a regular cheese grater then put it in the blender with the other two ingredients to achieve a consistent powder.  That's literally all you do. 

If you click on the link you will see that there is also a recipe for liquid detergent using the exact same ingredients plus water.   It has a couple more steps but it makes enough for 180 loads (vs 40 for the powder)!  As soon as I garner a 5 gallon bucket, I'm trying it.  Hopefully next time. 

Now, this isn't going to smell like Tide (in fact it doesn't smell like much of anything).  The Fels-Naptha does have a scent but it doesn't remain on the clothes.  Bounce or Snuggle dryer sheets, I find, give the clothes a nice "clean laundry" scent, if you like that sort of thing.

Also, I noticed the intended purpose of Fels-Naptha is actually stain remover.  I use a lot of Shout on Avery's clothes so I decided to give this a try since it's less than 1/2 the cost (under $1/bar).  I have used it a few times and so far so good.  One or two things I had to treat and put through the wash again but I have to do that with Shout too for stubborn stains.

Here is what my soap looks like.

You can also make dishwashing detergent with Borax and washing soda.  As soon as I run out of my current stuff, I'll be experimenting with that.

Did you think I was this crunchy?  Me neither. 

*takes off granola hat and puts on lunch with friends hat*

Ciao!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Don't go getting too granola on me...you know how I feel about those folks!!! Good job on being green though!