Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Juice Cleanse

A couple of weeks ago Rob and I decided to do a juice cleanse.  Ok.  I decided to do a juice cleanse.  

Me: hey, do you want to do a juice cleanse?

Rob: sure. 

If only all decision were made that easily.

Why a juice cleanse?  I'd been wanting to try it for a variety of reasons: health, energy, detox, and weight loss being primary among them.  A reset of sorts.

Some basic searches led me to a diy version of the Blueprint Cleanse.  The Blueprint Cleanse is around $165 for 3 days.  Per person.  So obviously we were going to diy. 

I decided to follow this particular blog's directions.  They were simple and easy to follow with dedicated grocery lists.

These 6 daily juices are as follows:

Green
-celery
-cucumber
-green apple
-kale
-romaine
-spinach
-lemon juice
























PAM 
-pineapple
-apple
-mint


















Green-again
























Spicy lemonade
-lemons
-cayenne
-water
























CAB
-carrot
-apple
-beet
-ginger


















Cashew or Almond
-almonds
-water
-agave
























In addition to the above juices you can have water and green tea.


First, of all, this requires a TON of produce and a TON of prep and a TON of cleanup.  We spent several hours washing/cutting/juicing our juices for the next day.  It is definitely not quick and easy.  
























I figured I would be hungry.  Starving, actually.  And I was not disappointed.  I was indeed starving for the better part of 3 days.  Here's the thing-I read a lot of reviews and experiences and nearly every single one said they thought they would be starving, but they weren't.  They actually had tons of energy. 

No. 

Liar liars.  

I was so hungry it was difficult to focus on anything.  I was at times light-headed.  It was just an overall feeling of foggy-ness.  Rob felt the same way.  Instead of moving my focus away from food-which I had hoped the cleanse would help with-I was obsessed with food and could think of little else.  

So how did the juices taste?  

The green juice was horrible.  Let me rephrase; the green juice tasted like celery.  I hate celery.  

The PAM juice was delicious.  I could drink that all day.  

The spicy lemonade.  Not good.  Not good at all.  

The CAB I like to refer to as "beet juice of death."  I drank it once and only once.  That was enough for me to decide I'd rather go hungry(er) thank drink said death juice.  To clarify, Rob got a little heavy-handed on the ginger, which made it very spicy.  I'm talking burn-your-throat spicy, fiery gullet spicy.  I choked a glass down-gulping water in between-heaved on the last sip, and decided that was where the road ended for me and the CAB.  We had made 2 days worth of the fiery beet juice, and there was really no way to fix it.  

The almond juice was delicious.  

So did I cheat?  I had a handful of almonds and a few cucumber slices on the second day.  On the third and final day I made it until lunch and called the whole thing off (I had already decided to ease out of it that day).  Rob had a salad on the night of the second day, and I think he ate normally on the third day.

Did I lose any weight?  Yeah, we both lost weight.  And we've probably gained it back.

How much was it?  Honestly, I never totaled it up (I went to store several times) but less than $100.

Would I do it again?  Eh.  Modified.  I would do it for a day.  Or replace two meals a day with juice and eat one meal.  No food for three days is too much for me, personally.   But I do love the reset and the influx of vitamins and nutrients.  I like juicing.  But I will definitely hold off on any juices that contain celery or beets.  

No comments: