Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Avery & Au-ter

Avery has a love-hate relationship with Arthur.  Sometimes she is treats him like the deity he believes himself to be and brings offerings to lay at his feet.  It may be a coaster or an Elmo sticker.  Sometimes it's actually one of his toys.  When he doesn't express interest in said item she'll remain persistent, pointing at the item while grunting as if to say "Hello, do you not see that I brought you a roll of Scotch tape? Scotch tape! Go ahead, take it.  It's yours."

When he gets too excited she gets annoyed and/or scared and wants him to go away.  I can't blame her: a running, chasing, jumping, 100+ pound animal that's eye level with me would scare me too.  

She also fancies herself to be somewhat of a disciplinarian.  Sometimes it comes in handy, like this morning when he was nosing around the ornaments on the Christmas tree.  She stood next to me, my little enforcer, and told him "no, no, no" while furiously shaking her arm like a tiny dictator.  She'll walk up to him and do this when he's simply lying on the rug too.  The looks he gives her in return, complete with raised eyebrow, is priceless.  If only he could talk...


For the record, she got this from my mom (telling Arthur to sit down, lay down, no, etc in an exaggerated manner) and she now does it to kids at daycare too.  

It's neat seeing them form a bond and relationship, even if it is a bit one-sided.  Deep down I think the old guy kind of likes her.

1 comment:

Mrs. Cup said...

BAHAHAHA! It is only a matter of time until the tide turns. I am sure once she gets a little bigger than him he will be begging for her attention.