Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

When you come home from the hospital with a new baby, the LAST thing you want (or have time) to do is cook.  At least for a couple of weeks.  Before I had Avery I made several freezer meals, and my mom made several for us as well.  I can't remember everything she made (although I'm sure they were delicious) but I do remember the chicken pot pie.  Rob and I loved it.  I got the recipe from her and finally got around to making it a couple of weeks ago.  It turned out great!

Chicken Pot Pie

Whole chicken or 4 breasts
4 whole carrots
1 whole celery rib
1 quartered onion
Salt
I had some Rosemary so I threw that in too.

Everyone in the pool.

Simmer above ingredients in water (if using breasts use broth) about 2 hours.  Remove carrots and slice.  Set aside.  Remove chicken.  Skin and de-bone.  Cut chicken into bite size pieces.  Strain the broth and discard onion and celery.



1 chopped onion
1.5 cup sliced celery
2 small peeled, diced potatoes
Green peas (optional) thawed (I used)
1/2 cup butter (this seemed like a LOT of butter so I only used about 1/2 stick)
1/2 cup cream, 1/2 and 1/2, or milk (I used milk)
6 tbs flour
1.5 cup broth
2 bay leaves
Fresh or dried parsley (Rob took this opportunity to enlighten me on his severe hatred of parsley....so I omitted.  But seriously who hates parsley?  Eight years and I never knew...)

Melt butter in pan.  Add celery and onion.  Saute about 10 minutes.  Add potatoes and saute another 7-10 minutes until potatoes start to get tender.  Add sliced carrots and peas.  With mixture still hot add flour.  Cook into mixture for approximately 3 minutes.  Stir in broth and cream and cook until thickened.  Add more broth or cream if mixture is too thick and salt and pepper (next time I would probably add some more liquid).  Add parsley and bay leaves.  Pour into casserole dish.  Top with pastry (I used store bought), score for venting.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
Is it obvious I used a store-bought crust?

I didn't take any pictures when it was finished.  Look, Pioneer Woman I am not.  But it looked pretty.  I'm sure you can imagine it! 

While this isn't difficult it is time consuming so it's definitely not a weeknight meal.  Unless you made it the night before and baked it the following night.  It's also very inexpensive to make and will last a family of 2 or 2.5 for a couple meals.  This is perfect to freeze and give to a friend that's expecting!

1 comment:

Mrs. Cup said...

Truly I will be expecting this when I am with child!