Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Egg Muffins & Banana Oat Bread

Amazing food photography courtesy of yours truly

I had some farm fresh eggs that needed to be used so last night I made breakfast egg muffins and banana oat bread.  The egg muffins are an adaptation of a million different South Beach breakfast recipes out there.  I just used what I had on hand.  Lots of other things would be good in these, including bell pepper, broccoli, asparagus, ham, turkey sausage, or bacon.  The possibilities are endless and can be adapted to your own dietary needs.

I used

8 eggs (5 whites, 3 whole)
2% sharp cheddar shredded cheese
zucchini
squash
onion
salt/pepper

I diced the veggies finely and spread them amongst the greased muffin tins (my ingredients made 6 muffins).  I then sprinkled about a tablespoon of cheese in each cup and poured the beaten eggs on top and baked at 375 for about 20 minutes or until the eggs were set.

I consider 2 muffins a serving.  They're convenient for me since I don't have time to make breakfast in the morning and I can throw them in my lunch and heat them up for a few seconds when I get to work.

The only problem I have with these is that they stick to the pan in a bad way.  I tried cupcake liners and those definitely didn't work because the egg stuck to the paper and didn't peel away properly.  I have tried ample cooking spray and that doesn't work too well either.  Seems like a silicone pan would work well but I don't have one.  I saw a recipe that recommended putting the veggies in first, then the cheese, then pouring the eggs on top instead of mixing it all together and then pouring into the tins.  I thought that might be a trick to avoid sticking so that's why I tried them that way but I didn't notice any difference from mixing everything in with the eggs first, which is how I've done it in the past.


I also had a couple of overripe bananas that needed to be used.  I've collected several banana bread recipes over the years but I wanted one that a) had oats and b) didn't call for milk or applesauce (because I didn't have any).  A Google search brought me to this recipe, which I followed pretty much exactly except I used 2 bananas instead of 3 and I did muffins instead of a loaf.  They are not bad.  Pretty dense but not bad for a healthy muffin!

No comments: