Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Happenings

This blog is for journaling purposes, but if someone laughs along the way, so be it.

Rob is at a work conference, so I'm acting as a single mom (which, by the way, I'm not that good at).

I do not mean to imply that Avery is normally this bratty sassy, because she's normally very sweet, but she has been having quite a few "toddler moments" lately.

I enrolled Avery in the summer reading program at the library, and she has been asking to go back to the "libary" and get more books.  Awwwwwwwwwwwww. 


You do not realize how loud a 2 year-old's cry is until you're in a library.  The reason for the crying was never established.  After the crying ceased, I set about trying to quickly pick out a few books to check out.  Avery normally loves going to the library and looking at books, but there was a bee in her bonnet yesterday.  I think it had something to do with being overly tired from not going to bed (AHEM getting out of bed repeatedly) on time the night before.

Me:  Oooooh, how about this one, Avery?  It has Piglet in it.


Avery: NO.


Me: OK.  Oh, look, how about this one?  Olivia Learns to Surf.


Avery: NO

Rinse and repeat.  I gathered five books I thought she would like, and we checked them out.

Next, I had to stop at Target for a prescription.  Normally I don't take Avery to the store.  She doesn't act right, and her behavior is not conducive to me aimlessly wandering the isles for an hour, so I leave her home (same goes for her dad).  As soon as we pull up, (and this is where I really start to question our relation) she takes a look at the front of the store and says "no."

Me: Yes, Avery, we're going in the store.  Act like a big girl, and you can play with my phone.  


Avery: No.


See a theme here?

Once we get inside, she tried to battle me about riding in the cart ("I WALK").  I won. Shortest.trip.to.Target.ever.

The battle continued at home.

Me: Avery, eat your chicken.


Avery (looking me dead in the eyes): Walk away.


Me: Excuse me?


Avery (slower): Walk. Away.

Bedtime went off without too much of a problem and she only got out of bed/out of her room one time.

This morning started off as an epic fail because I overslept by about 30 minutes.  Trying to rush a toddler is like trying to herd a cat.  It took her about 5 minutes just to put her shoes on.  And Wednesday is water play day at daycare, so I had to apply sunscreen which takes a little bit of extra time as well.  I took her to the garage to spray her down with sunscreen and she took off running into the street.  If you've ever tried to run in a pencil skirt and heels you can imagine that she beat me.  Fortunately there was no vehicular activity at that time.  I may or may not have arrived at daycare sweating and with dusty footprints on my skirt.
Despite the fact that I was running 30 minutes late, I took time to snap this picture to send to Rob so he could have a picture of his little angel.  And I'm glad I did.

No comments: