Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Well, as you all know by now Avery has finally arrived and we couldn't be happier. Things definitely didn't go as planned as far as labor and delivery. The last few days are a little blurry but here is the gist of it:
Went in Wednesday night for the cervical ripening. They told us they would start the pitocin at 6 the next morning. We managed to get a few hours of sleep between the nurses coming in at different times. They started the pitocin at 6 as promised. I was having pretty strong contractions that lasted into the early afternoon. I really don't remember much but being in quite a bit of pain. And by quite a bit I mean writhing, agonizing pain. Sometime in the early afternoon my doctor came in and said they were going to turn off the pitocin, let me rest the remainder of the afternoon and administer another dose of the cervix ripener because while the pitocin was causing me to have contractions I wasn't dilating at a comprable rate. So they turned off the pitocin but the contractions didn't stop and I continued to be in labor from then on.
The rest of the afternoon and evening is a blur. After 12+ hours of labor I got a spinal/epidural at about 7:30 pm. Which was great for the hour or two that it lasted, until it completely wore off on the left side. After what seemed like forever the anesth. came back and "fixed" it except he didn't really fix it at all. After another century he came back and determined he would have to completely do it again-something which hadn't happened in 10 years according to him. Lucky me. Once I got the second spinal I was ready to push. I pushed for two hours and she was close but she just wasn't coming out. My doctor was monitoring her heartrate which was dropping with every contraction. She attempted to assist with the vacuum which didn't work. Her heartrate dropped to around 80 and the doctor said she had to come out right away. So I was wheeled away and Rob was left to wait. It was terrifying for both of us. Because it was an emergency and I was being put totally out I guess he couldn't be in there. The next thing I knew I woke up and Rob was standing by my bed telling me she was beautiful. I was so confused. I don't even think I knew what he was talking about. I think was about 2 am on Friday.
Avery is doing great. She needed a little assistance at first and she has some abrasions and an area with fluid right under the skin on her head from the vacuum. But everything is fine and they said it should be gone in a week.
Recovery so far has been ok. All of Friday was pretty painful. Yesterday and today have been better. We got home around 1:0o this afternoon and it is great to be home. Rob is taking great care of both of us. He has been doing everything for Avery and myself. I am finally getting around better today and actually changed my first diaper. I had no doubt Rob would be a great dad but he has exceeded any expectations I could have ever had. He is so calm, patient and confident with her. She gazes at him constantly so I think she kind of likes him too. Everyone agrees she looks just like him.
Arthur is pretty curious about her. He is being good but has been pacing about and wanting to smell her head which we obviously won't let him do. Hopefully he simmers down and starts ignoring her. Not getting much sleep of course. A few hours here and there.
That is all for now. We are so happy she is here. This is by far the best Mother's Day I've ever had:) Thanks to those who visited in the hospital and for the flowers, gifts, and well wishes. We appreciate everything.
More pictures to come. Uploading is very slow tonight.















4 comments:

Shannon said...

Happy 1st Mother's Day! Avery is beyond precious!!! I know you two will be amazing parents to her! Aunt Shannon is 2 hours away ready and waiting to babysit though!!!

Congrats again! She is so loved already!

lehadams said...

She's precious!

Unknown said...

Sorry you had to go through all that. Now you have a Labor Story! :) Avery is beautiful. I can't wait to meet her.

Mrs. Cup said...

I hope you had a wonderful 1st Mothers Day!! We love you guys so much...can't wait to see her again!!