Friday, September 21, 2012

Last Day

Home with this little guy.


Monday I return to the office-and the real world (filled with pants that have actual waists and shoes that aren't made of rubber-it's been a casual summer)-and Ben starts daycare.  The same daycare/school that Avery attends, and has since she was 12 weeks old.  It's a good place.  He will be well taken care of.  But it's still hard.  I have paperwork to fill out to let them know all about Ben-his likes, schedule, and how many bottles (um, good luck with that?).  Of course, it would be impossible to tell them everything I've learned about him over the last 12 weeks-after all, the paperwork is less than two pages.

Don't get me wrong-there were days that I thought longingly of my quiet office.  Where no one was screaming at me and I could work in peace, finish an email in one sitting, or maybe just stare of into space and think about nothing at all.  Where no one deposited spit-up in my hair or demanded that I wipe their bottom.  But I am very thankful that I was able to stay home with him for 12 weeks and not lose out on any income.  It has been challenging.  I have become skilled at typing emails while bouncing a baby on my lap.  I've burned a path between the computer, the washing machine, the dishwasher, the dryer, and the swing.  I've had my annual review via phone while jiggling a fussy baby, and you would think my leg muscles would be toned from the repetitive bouncing of the bouncy seat.  I've called into meetings, praying he'd sleep the entire time.

It's been a busy but fun 12 weeks and I've enjoyed getting to know our little guy and see him grow and develop a little personality.  I know he'll do great at daycare.  He'll get attached to his teachers and make baby friends to play with.  But I am really going to miss my little fuzz head and his sweet, gummy smile.  He's been the best (albeit, demanding) coworker.

No comments: