Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pregnancy Differences

I mentioned before how this pregnancy differs in certain ways than my pregnancy with Avery.  Obviously, Avery is a girl and this baby is a boy (or so they say).  I'm not one to put too much stock in the old wives tales, especially regarding gender, but some of them have turned out to be true for me.

Baby's heart rate-This baby's heart rate has been lower (140s) and Avery's was always higher, keeping in line with the wives tale.

Carrying high vs. low-I carried Avery very high and I'm carrying this one very low.  So, again, this one is true for me too.

Craving sweet (girl) or salty (boy)-Eh.  I definitely ate a lot of candy and frozen yogurt when I was pregnant with Avery.  I haven't eaten as much candy this time.  I don't know.  I can't say that I really have cravings per se, more so that I give in to eating what I want more than I do when I'm not pregnant.  Neither pregnancy have I wanted to eat something that I wouldn't like when I'm not pregnant.

Morning sickness-The wives tale says you will have more more sickness if you're having a girl.  I really didn't have much morning sickness with Avery, only if I didn't eat soon enough in the morning.  This time I really didn't have any.  Again, this one seems to be true.

I've had some other differences than last time as well.  I had bad heartburn last time and I haven't really had any this time.  I did experience some heartburn once or twice during the time we were packing and moving from all the bending over.  Other than that I haven't had anything like I did with Avery (I carried Tums with me at all times).  I'm attributing this to carrying Avery so high.

Last time I had a linea nigra (the dark, vertical line on your stomach) and this time-so far-I do not.  I guess it could appear in the next 8 weeks.

No stretch marks with Avery and none so far with this one.  Again, some could appear in the remaining 8 weeks.

With Avery I remember having that gross, metallic taste in my mouth and I haven't had that this time.

By far the worst part of either pregnancy has been sciatica.  With Avery, it started at about 30 weeks and stayed consistent and painful for several weeks.  This time, it has flared up here and there, but it hasn't stuck around for long periods of time.  Hopefully it stays that way.  It's really painful and since I can't really avoid walking, I hope it doesn't come back over the next couple months.

Some people attribute these differences to the sex of the baby; others with multiple of the same sex say each of their pregnancies were different.  This is my experience, and since I'll probably not have any more, I won't be able to test the theory any further!

No comments: